Aug 6, 2022
Robert “Bob” Falconer has been bridging his long history of IFS
and psychedelics together into the body of work that informs the
conversation you will hear today.
Bob lays the groundwork for what Internal Family Systems therapy
is; its foundational propositions about the nature of the mind; and
both how IFS works and how therapists work with IFS to bring about
From there we go into the unique benefit IFS has to offer
psychedelic therapy and how to use IFS in both preparation for and
integration of psychedelic experiences.
We also talk about generative change vs counteractive change;
the harms of isolation and the healing of connection; the porous
nature of the mind and relational nature of reality; and even Bob’s
perspective on how to work with spirit entities, demons, and the
intelligence of psychedelic medicines.
For links to Bob's work, full show notes, and a link to watch
this episode in video, head to bit.ly/ATTMind163
*** FULL TOPICS BREAKDOWN BELOW**
*** Extra BIG thanks to my patrons on Patreon for helping keep
this podcast alive!
Especially my $23+ patrons, Andreas D, Clea S, Joe A, Ian C,
Yvette FC, Chuck W, Alex F, Eliz C, Nick M, & Chloe C
- (0:00) Opening
- (4:47) Thank you!
- (7:06) Interview begins
- (8:13) An introduction to Internal Family Systems IFS
- (12:34) What makes IFS “parts work” unique; Self-energy
- (16:10) No bad parts; all parts have good intention
- (19:54) Most people are civil wars, IFS helps heal us into a
- (23:12) How IFS addresses our wounded parts, e.g. our
- (26:58) “Insight is the booby prize”
- (28:40) Counteractive change vs generative change
- (32:00) The unique benefit of IFS for psychedelic therapy
- (25:40) How Internal Family Systems therapy works best with
- (42:04) Where IFS fits into psychedelic integration
- (46:26) Separating internal vs external change during our
- (47:37) Living in troubled times; therapy with the potential
for exponential growth
- (55:04) The mind is porous; reality is relational
- (1:03:05) Falconer’s perspective on spirit entities and
- (1:11:13) The utility of regarding the intelligence of the
medicine as full spectrum personalities
- (1:17:50) Some discussion on regarding nature as full-spectrum
- (1:23:15) The harms of isolation; the healing of
- (1:27:19) IFS with MDMA or Ketamine?
- (1:30:18) The specific nuances of doing IFS therapy with
- (1:34:52) Can protector parts block the effects of
- (1:40:31) We don’t always need support to have a great
psychedelic experience, but it helps
- (1:44:31) Suggestions on integrating IFS into your personal
- (1:48:39) A final offering for us from Robert Falconer
- (1:49:22) Closing
OR you can buy a copy of one of my books!